Writing a background plug-in to detect idle state

A place where plug-in developers can share their knowledge and experience.
Spire

Writing a background plug-in to detect idle state

Post by Spire »

I want to create a plug-in that will perform an certain action (such as playing a sound file) whenever FAR Manager becomes idle after any long operation. The functionality would be similar to the way the current FTP plug-in can be made to beep after a long operation, but it would work in conjunction with any long operation -- even internal operations such as file copying.

I looked through the documentation and found the ProcessEvent() function. I thought that I could perhaps export that function and trap the FE_IDLE event to determine if and when FAR Manager becomes idle so that my action can be triggered. Unfortunately, it turns out that ProcessEvent() is supported only in file-panel plug-ins.

It seems that the functionality I'm seeking would require my plug-in to be running constantly in the background, as opposed to being triggered by explicit user action. I suspect that this might not be possible.

Is there a way to accomplish this within the current plug-in architecture? If not, I'll probably end up suggesting this feature in the Suggestions and Ideas forum.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Spire
No such API is available.
Spire

Post by Spire »

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think it would be possible.

I've posted the suggestion here. Hope it gets considered, since I think it would be very useful, and probably not too difficult to implement.