FAR on x64 Windows

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
ender

FAR on x64 Windows

Post by ender »

Would it be possible for FAR to disable the folder redirection on x64 Windows, to allow access to 64bit Windows\System32 directory? More info on file system redirection for 32bit programs on x64 Windows is available in MSDN.
Lofote

Post by Lofote »

I second that wish. Should be fairly simple to implement, just call the Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection function at startup - the only thing to check first is to handle that the function does not exist on Win32. Should be relatively easy :)...
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Lofote

Post by Lofote »

Great, thanks. It warns of problems with some plugins however (which is logical, since if they use DLLs in SYSTEM32 they now get the 64-bit ones, which will fail). Does anyone have a list of plugins or know some that have this problem?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well, I don't know of any plugins that load dll's by full path name from system32. And if LoadLibrary and/or GetModuleHandle handle 32bit programs correctly even if the WOW64 redirection is disabled (which I suppose they do) all plugins should work correctly.
ender

Post by ender »

Fact is, plugins don't work correctly when filesystem redirection is disabled (I'm still thinking this is Microsoft's fault - instead of using filesystem redirection, they could have easily put 64bit stuff to System64 - but that's what we have now, and filemanagers have to work around it).
I'm now using Windows XP x64 full-time, and found the need to do something in System32 quite often lately, so I'd really like to see a built-in handling for this.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Besides disabling redirection, you can create symlink "system64" to real "system32" directory, or use native x64 far version.