Far development progress

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
nihil

Far development progress

Post by nihil »

Greetings from a longtime user and advocate of FAR, i'd like to thank all the people involved in the process of making FAR and its plugins.

i'm wondering, where FAR development intend to go?, its been a long time since i've seen a stable release with code fixes and new features.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well the alpha releases are pretty much stable and contain many fixes and not a small number of new features.
Tocke

Post by Tocke »

t-rex wrote:Well the alpha releases are pretty much stable and contain many fixes and not a small number of new features.
I hope we could read a new "WhatsNew.txt" soon :)
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

It's in the process.
henrypijames

Updates are good, changelogs are better...

Post by henrypijames »

I'm glad FAR and its "core plugins" seem to be updated more frequently now (even though just as testing versions), but I really miss the changelogs.

Now are we supposed to test changes and new features if we don't know what they are? The testing process would be much, much more effective if a changelog is available.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well, the docs are beeing prepared, it just takes some time.
pandronic

Development progress

Post by pandronic »

I'm a long time user of Far. I've seen some progress lately and I was wondering when we'll have the next official stable release (with installer, plugins & stuff)

Also, I would suggest packaging more plugins with the official version - like Colorer and WinSCP.

Regards
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

The next beta release is in the making.
xxbbcc

Re: Development progress

Post by xxbbcc »

That's great news! I've been using Far for years and it's just one of the best available programs out there, two hands down! I can hardly wait for the new version (not that there is anything wrong with the last one, it's just nice to see that Far is still being worked on 8) )
xxbbcc

Status of Far 1.70

Post by xxbbcc »

t-rex,

I saw that you posted a sticky that beta 6 is available for download. However, on the download page it says that it's an alpha version (I don't quite understand it - is it a beta or an alpha :?: ), so I'd like to know, how stable this version is in general?

Also, do you have any rough estimates as to when to expect a final release of 1.70? I use 1.70 beta 5 for a loooong time now (it works very well, no problems at all), but I got all itchy for a new version... :)

Thanks,
xxbbcc
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Where did I post that? But anyway, the latests alphas are called alphas mostly because the translations are not yet done but they are of release quality.
Well as soon as I finish the english translations there will be a beta and then I believe a release will follow.
xxbbcc

Post by xxbbcc »

t-rex,

Thanks for your reply. This is the link I thought of - maybe I misunderstood the alpha/beta status (because 1.70 beta 5 -> 1.70 alpha 6). Anyway, it's not important, I don't want to distract you from making the release :)

http://enforum.farmanager.com/viewtopic.php?t=110

xxbbcc
JimWilson

Different version number

Post by JimWilson »

FYI... the new build of FAR comes up as 2060 in the help file, not 2058 as the annoucement says.

Also, is there a WhatsNew for this build? I always like to check and see what new toys have been included! :D
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well 2060 was also released, just after 2058 :) I had not had time to announce it.

Well the news are a problem, we made an arangment to supply russian news on the russian forum, but no english news, sorry :(
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

That's odd, because for build 2051 I did find a WhatsNew.

Will there be a change log in the future?