Far wish: special item in root folder for the root folder...

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
xxbbcc

Far wish: special item in root folder for the root folder...

Post by xxbbcc »

Far guys,

I'd like to ask for a new feature in Far that would make it easier to use the EMenu plugin in the root folder of a drive - as far as I know, this is now impossible, because in the root folder, there is no way to not to have a selection if there is at least a single file/folder there. Because of this, it is impossible to invoke the EMenu plugin for a drive root. (If the root is empty, invoking the EMenu plugin does indeed work for the root.)

You can try this:
  • 1. Create an empty folder (C:\Empty)
    2. Subst it to G: (subst g: C:\Empty)
    3. Go to G: in the file panel
    4. Bring up the EMenu plugin - the context menu is for the drive root.
    5. Now create a new text file on G: (Shift+F4), type something and save
    6. Now there is no way (AFAIK) to select the drive root, because the file is selected.
So it'd be nice to have a placeholder item in the file panels for the drive root, so that it can be selected for EMenu. Is there something that already does this that I overlooked?

Thank you very much,
xxbbcc
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

xxbbcc
F11 -> Emenu -> My Computer ?
xxbbcc

Post by xxbbcc »

t-rex,

Thank you very much - I tried that in the past, but it's very cumbersome and there are no shortcuts to the drives - I have to use the arrows to navigate to the drive that I want.

I could record a macro with the arrow keys, of course, but if I insert a removable drive, that would stop working. I'd prefer having something in the file panels (just like how the empty area behaves in Windows Explorer in the right pane - if you right click the empty area, that brings up the context menu for the current folder. This works well for subfolders but no the root folder.)

I already have a keyboard macro to bring up EMenu with a single key combination and having this special item in root folders would work with it well.

The reason I'm posting this request is because I'm using Subversion and the TortoiseSVN client (which is a shell extension) and most operations work very well from Far, but I cannot easily get the context menu for the drive root, which is something I need to do very frequently.

Do you have any other idea that would help?

Thanks again,
xxbbcc
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

xxbbcc
You can also open tree panel (CtrlT) and call EMenu for "\" element, îr via prefix:
rclk_txt:c:
rclk_txt:d:
xxbbcc

Post by xxbbcc »

DrKnS,

It's a good idea, I didn't think of it, but unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I can bring up the EMenu plugin using F11->EMenu (my shortcut key, Ctrl-Shift-A doesn't seem to work in treeview, even though it is set up in such a way that it doesn't care about file or plugin panels), but when I try to do an update in Subversion, it shows an error, claiming that something is locked on Q:. This only happens when the treeview panel is open, so I assume that treeview puts some kind of lock on the drive/folders/files on Q:. This doesn't happen when I use EMenu/TortoiseSVN on subfolders.

Any pther ideas? I'd really like to make this work in Far - I haven't used Explorer in years and I like it that way but now I need to open it very frequently to get the context menu for root folders.

Thanks again,
xxbbcc
rob

Post by rob »

i use the temporary panel with a filelist to show the emenu for deviceroots.
my filelist %farhome%\Plugins\TmpPanel\computer.temp contains all possible drivenames:

Code: Select all

a:\
b:\
c:\
z:\
the commandline:

Code: Select all

tmp:-any %farhome%\Plugins\TmpPanel\computer.temp
list all existing drives. if your emenu-macro is configured to work in pluginpanels you can open the emenu. for fast access set an folder shortcut.
xxbbcc

Post by xxbbcc »

rob,

Thank you very much - I didn't know that the Temp panel had these features - I use Far for a long time but I never opened the help on the Temp panel. It's good to know. :)

Unfortunately, this still doesn't help me with my current problem - I get the same "Working copy Q: locked" error fro TortoiseSVN that I get when I try to use the Tree panel and the EMenu plugin directly. I'm thinking about creating a simple script to invoke Subversion (as a batch file), since it seems that I cannot do this in Far otherwise. (Or, alternatively, I must stick with Windows Explorer. :o )

I saw that there is a Subversion plugin on the plugin page, but it seems to be old, I don't know if it would work well with the latest version of SVN.

t-rex: is there anything that Far locks when accessing a folder root? I don't have this locking problem if I try to invoke TSVN from EMenu on any subfolders, only on the drive root.
rob

Post by rob »

xxbbcc,

far locks every folder opened on active and passive panel. so, if your svn-folder was opened on the passive then it´s reason/problem. anyway with unlocker(http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker) you can search for the process who locks your svn-folder.
xxbbcc

Post by xxbbcc »

rob,

Thank you, I suspected that, too. :-/

I think I'll have to stick with Windows Explorer then to access the root menu. It's strange that it doesn't happen on other folders, which - I'd assume - are locked the same way. (I can go inside a folder on drive Q:, move the selection bar onto the .. entry and get the context menu through EMenu and it's working - the context menu is for the current folder and TSVN works as well.)
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

xxbbcc
Maybe it is a bug of TSVN? Try to report it to the author.