Do you need native Unicode support in FAR Manager?

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?

Do you need native Unicode support in FAR Manager?

Poll ended at Thu May 19, 2005 7:47 pm

I need it very much!
11
61%
Yes, I do.
6
33%
I don't care.
0
No votes
No, I don't.
1
6%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
t-rex
Admin
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Location: Ashdod
Contact:

Do you need native Unicode support in FAR Manager?

Post by t-rex » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Do you need native Unicode support in FAR Manager?

Assarbad
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:13 pm
Contact:

Post by Assarbad » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Oh yes, that would be great. Ever tried to view Russian/Chinese and English file names on the same system? :)

joejoe
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Zlin, Czechia
Contact:

it's definitly most feature wanted in Czech

Post by joejoe » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 pm

when file manager cannot copy or read any kind of file (in this case file in unicode) it's really big problem.

Tocke
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Hungary, Pecsvarad
Contact:

the newest beta release

Post by Tocke » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:18 pm

the new beta release is cool, it shows correctly all hungarian capital letter!

...but there is one mistake: ű (alt+251) = √

KtW
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Post by KtW » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:08 pm

Yes this is a must have function to have expecially because competition is heavy (read Total Commander)

Maybe what's needed it's only a plugin that can instruct Far to use the system copy routine for example if you use Extended Menu for copying files you can attenuate this problem a bit...

User avatar
t-rex
Admin
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Location: Ashdod
Contact:

Post by t-rex » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:45 pm

KtW wrote:Yes this is a must have function to have expecially because competition is heavy (read Total Commander)

Maybe what's needed it's only a plugin that can instruct Far to use the system copy routine for example if you use Extended Menu for copying files you can attenuate this problem a bit...
Well, for the time being you can use the BackgroundCopy plugin which can handle unicode names.

KtW
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Post by KtW » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:53 pm

One times i've remember I've tryed to use it...

...but I've not the same feeling then using FileCopyExt ;)

...Anyway I think it's time to reinstall that plugin and try again!

...Thank You

henrypijames
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Post by henrypijames » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:00 am

The question is, what does "Unicode support" really mean? If it just mean FAR being able to access files with non-ASCII names, then by all means, it's long due. If it also means FAR supporting non-ASCII input in it's dialgs then there is a long way to go. Ever seen how f*cked up FAR looks if you set your default Windows encoding to something widebyte, like Japanese?

User avatar
t-rex
Admin
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Location: Ashdod
Contact:

Post by t-rex » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:54 am

henrypijames wrote:The question is, what does "Unicode support" really mean? If it just mean FAR being able to access files with non-ASCII names, then by all means, it's long due. If it also means FAR supporting non-ASCII input in it's dialgs then there is a long way to go. Ever seen how f*cked up FAR looks if you set your default Windows encoding to something widebyte, like Japanese?
By unicode I mean everything.
And actualy FAR even in its current state can work in a unicode console, and show Japanese, here some examples
Image
Image

henrypijames
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Post by henrypijames » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:40 pm

Very interesting. What encoding does that system shown above use for non-Unicode applications (sometimes known as "default encoding")? Or how else did you get this "Unicode console"?

User avatar
t-rex
Admin
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Location: Ashdod
Contact:

Post by t-rex » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:10 pm

You just need to use a TrueType font for the console, like Lucida Console.

henrypijames
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Post by henrypijames » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Lucida Console is exactly the font I use, but I still don't see any CJK characters in filenames (they appear correctly in Windows Explorer, of course).

I have English US as default encoding (codepage 437).

User avatar
t-rex
Admin
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Location: Ashdod
Contact:

Post by t-rex » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:35 pm

henrypijames wrote:Lucida Console is exactly the font I use, but I still don't see any CJK characters in filenames (they appear correctly in Windows Explorer, of course).
You won't see them as FAR doesn't yet handle unicode filenames.

henrypijames
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Post by henrypijames » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:50 pm

t-rex wrote:You won't see them as FAR doesn't yet handle unicode filenames.
I know, but I want to see them at least in the Windows console (command shell), as shown in the screenshot above.

User avatar
t-rex
Admin
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Location: Ashdod
Contact:

Post by t-rex » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:49 am

It supposed to work as far as I know, but only in Windows NT/XP/2000.

Locked