Directory shortcuts do not open in Far

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
cdysthe

Directory shortcuts do not open in Far

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

In my Documents folder in Windows Vista I have some shortcut to folders on another encrypted partition. We are required to keep work related documents on encrypted partitions, so this is the we've been doing it both on Windows and Linux. On Linux I used Midnight Commander and when I clicked on the link to a folder I was simply taken to that location in MC. However, when I click on the folder shortcuts in Far on Vista the location is opened as a Windows Explorer window which is not what I want.

Would it be possible somehow to have shortcuts to folders open in Far and not in Explorer?

I have to say that Far makes working Vista tolerable. I recently discovered the program. As soon as I realized it is shareware I went and purchased it. It's weird that there's no registration link from the Far homepage.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

cdysthe
By links you mean *.lnk files? Those have nothing in similar with linux links but there is a plugin that can do what you need. I think it's "Shell File and Folder link support".
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

t-rex wrote:cdysthe
By links you mean *.lnk files? Those have nothing in similar with linux links but there is a plugin that can do what you need. I think it's "Shell File and Folder link support".
Yes I mean *.lnk files. Good to know that they are not working like the Linux links. I will look for the plug-in. Thanks!

//C
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

cdysthe
Alternatively, you may use linux-style links transparently with no additional plugins. You may create such true links (as opposed to shortcuts) via AltF6 from a file panel.