how to emulate windows explorer folder mode

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
asdffdsa

how to emulate windows explorer folder mode

Post by asdffdsa »

hello and thanks for reading this,
sometimes i want to just do want the lame explorer can do.
have a true tree mode.
i know about far tree mode but:
- it only allows a tree to the entire harddrive and i have over 10,000 folders. i cannot get tree mode to just scan the current folder only. like xtree did back in the day.
- keystrokes are very difficult.
- cannot expand/close a folder in the tree.
- have to press enter each time to see a folder whereas windows explorer, when i move to a folder there is a delay before the subfolder/files right pane is updated, else i just scroll thru folder list.

i wish info mode would have an option to display folders/files instead of just a quick summary of the folder.

i cannot find a plugin to fix this
of course, there might be ways to tweak far.

plz advise me as i often find myself switching to explorer.
thanks,
dave
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

asdffdsa
Such functionality (with minor exceptions) has been suggested via the issue tracking system (in Russian) almost 2 years ago: #027. Due to a non-commercial nature of Far Manager development, nobody implemented it (AFAIK).
asdffdsa

thanks for the feedback

Post by asdffdsa »

HaRT,
thanks much for the time as i cannot read russian.

how about this..
lets forget about the tree concept and lets keep it simple.

left pane: a normal panel showing folders and files which is highligting a folder.
right pane: a list of folders/files inside the left panel highlighted folder.

i thought that far was a commerical product. i know that far can be purchased?
is far open source, cause i read that it is not and that no source code is available so i guess someone would have to implement it as a plugin. correct?

thanks again,
dave
nightroman

Post by nightroman »

asdffdsa

Your second proposal can be emulated just now with a macro:
Sequence: F11 0 Tab CtrlPgDn Tab
where 0 is a shortcut for "Same Folder" in the plugins menu (you can assign and use another shortcut)
Note that it works not only for folders but for archives as well.

Your first proposal: the feature like this is planned in the coming future in one of my plugins Far.NET or PowerShellFar. I am sure it is easy to implement it as a standard "low level" plugin but I am not interested in it. For me it is much easier to make it in .NET (and I use Far.NET and PowerShellFar anyway).
nightroman

Post by nightroman »

By the way, I also find FAR "Directory Tree" feature very awkward nowadays, when thousands of directories on a disk is pretty normal.
asdffdsa

ok now we are getting somewhere

Post by asdffdsa »

hi again,

the idea of using a macro is a good one and perhaps we could expand it a bit.
however, the macro that you kindly wrote for me does not do what i want.

the goal is:
for a HIGHLIGHTED folder in the left pane, show the subfolders/files.
for me the ctrlpgdn does the same thing as pressinig the enter key.

i think that i might have added some plugin or something that changes the behaviour of ctrlpgdn. can that be true?

so how about a macro that uses the higlighted folder path to cause the right pane to display that highlighted folder contents.
the main thing is to use the left pane highlighted folder path, not the current folder in the left pane.
thanks,
dave
asdffdsa

oh yeah

Post by asdffdsa »

i know that the keystroke ShiftAltIns copies the highligted folder path to the clipboard...
thanks,
dave
asdffdsa

i created a macro to do it

Post by asdffdsa »

thanks for nightroman for implenting the idea of using a macro to solve my problem.
having never written a macro i have found a solution - step 1.

i map the CtrlDown to the macro:
ESC DOWN "CD \"" $text apanel.path "\\" $text apanel.current "\\\"" TAB ENTER TAB

and

i map the CtrlUp to the macro:
ESC UP "CD \"" $text apanel.path "\\" $text apanel.current "\\\"" TAB ENTER TAB

i think i am going to need a better scripting option as suggested by nightroman..
tx,
dave
nightroman

Post by nightroman »

Just to be sure that you don't disable a useful feature for yourself: CtrlUp and CtrlDown by default perform a very handy operation - they change height of panels so that a user can see relatively small output of commands in the bottom of console without hiding the panels. If you don't need this operation - it's fine, otherwise think of alternative keys.

(as for me, I usually keep panels height ~ 2/3 of window height).
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

nightroman wrote:(as for me, I usually keep panels height ~ 2/3 of window height).
+1
Off-topic: I even have a macro on the CtrlClear key that restores the preferred relative width/ hight of the panels taking menu/ key bars visibility into account.