64-bit FAR, Linux version

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
modicr

64-bit FAR, Linux version

Post by modicr »

Are there any plans for 64-bit version of Far Manager?
Also, in Linux I use midnight commander, but i would
like to use FAR. Any plans for Linux port?

Regards, Roman
(c) I'm not patented!
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well, 64bit is not planned yet but is something we think about - the priority now is unicode. And about linux it's not very realistic as FAR uses the WinAPI heavily, maybe if FAR ever goes open source that will be possible.
cepera

Post by cepera »

You got offer to help you with 64-bit port several years ago (when Itanium was introduced) but nothing happened since then.

Actually it is not big deal to run 32-bit version there but it just demonstrates you ability to manage the project and evolve the great product that you got from Eugene.

And this the is the most disappointing thing around FAR. 5 years passed, almost nothing happened...
Hory

Post by Hory »

T-rex has done a lot of work and complaining that he didn't do even more doesn't help. I agree that Unicode is of a higher priority, and once that's done we'll see where he takes FAR M.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Actualy I didn't do that much work as I'm in FarGroup for about 3-4 month only :oops:
cepera

Post by cepera »

My post was about FarGroup in general but about T-Rex personally. I can't estimate the work done by each of these group members. Especially since I haven't seen any progress except some bug fixes during this years. In 5 years it is possible to do a lot of work if focus on development and the product but not something else.

So I apologize for any misunderstanding that my post could generate.

But still I think the FarGroup is responsible for closing access to the Far and preventing its evolution (although I might not know all the details).
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

He, he. http://farmanager.com/farbugs/farx64test2.rar

This is an x64 version for Far. Only for Windows x64 (AMD64). It seems to work OK. x64 compiled plugins also seem to work ok. *.hpp are also in the archive for the one's that want to try it themselfs.

I have attached here the first x64 plugin, by surprise it is CharacterMap :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
modicr

Post by modicr »

Hello!

Link above does not work anymore ... :(

Regards, ROman
(c) I'm not patented!
Spire

Post by Spire »

modicr wrote:Link above does not work anymore ... :(
These are still up:
bilbo

Post by bilbo »

t-rex wrote:And about linux it's not very realistic as FAR uses the WinAPI heavily, maybe if FAR ever goes open source that will be possible.
Well, FAR is now opensource, is there any plan for Linux version now? I'd like it (midnight commander is far from FAR in terms of features and usability and pluginability) and I may help with it ....

Winelib could help with the WinAPI issue, so perhaps some linux version may be quite realistic (plugins may be worse, but those plugins that are opensource should not be a big problem to "convert" to work under linux too)
sicvolo

Post by sicvolo »

bilbo wrote:Winelib could help with the WinAPI issue, so perhaps some linux version may be quite realistic (plugins may be worse, but those plugins that are opensource should not be a big problem to "convert" to work under linux too)
Well actually FAR runs quite fine AFAIK under Wine console.
I could get an example if you need