Open Source

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
gorzkit

Diffirences between 1.7x and 1.8x version ?

Post by gorzkit »

Why 1.8x version not working in NT 4.0. Function "GetLongPathNameW"
not found in KERNEL32.DLL. Version 1.7x working in NT.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

gorzkit
Well, you have the answer, GetLongPathNameW is not available in NT4.
1.80 is version only for developers, it is not ready for daily use. And it hasn't been decided yet if we will support any windows prior to Win2000 with this version.
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

One thing I forgot to ask before; does this mean there will be no more 1.71 builds? Is it only 1.80 now?
gorzkit

Post by gorzkit »

Thanks for answers.
I can probe compile source without UNICODE support.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

JimWilson
No, 1.71 is continued to be developed at the moment as it is the main working version, and we use it ourselfs :) When 1.80 reaches a certain stage of useability, only then development of 1.7x will stop.

gorzkit
There is no code to compile without UNICODE support.
Spire

Post by Spire »

t-rex wrote:No, 1.71 is continued to be developed at the moment as it is the main working version, and we use it ourselfs :)
Would it be possible to make the source code for the 1.71 branch publicly available via SVN? I would like to be able to compile up-to-date builds for myself, since they are made available only sporadically.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Spire
1.71 is not open source.
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

Spire wrote:Would it be possible to make the source code for the 1.71 branch publicly available via SVN? I would like to be able to compile up-to-date builds for myself, since they are made available only sporadically.
Once per month is enough for me.

Unfortunately announces of new builds are only in Russian forum.
http://forum.farmanager.com/rss.php?f=2
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

joejoe wrote:Unfortunately announces of new builds are only in Russian forum.
http://forum.farmanager.com/rss.php?f=2
I try to occasionally check the Russian forum and post the links here, see 'New version available' thread. There is also an older 'Unannounced updates' thread, but some off-topic discussion started there, so I made a new one.
CyberWolf

how to compile ?

Post by CyberWolf »

Hy.

I was wondering, what programs should i download (if possible free/open source) to compile FAR and the plugins that are in the SVN.

I managed to download everything from SVN, but don't know exactly where to start from :)

P.S. for those interested in testing out FAR, you can download nightly builds of FAR manager (only FAR, not the plugins too) from hxxp://farmanager.rainforce.org/nightly (sorry, can't post the URL correctly as i'm a new user :D )
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

CyberWolf
It compiles with mingw, VC7 and VC8. All of those compilers are available for free.
joejoe

Re: how to compile ?

Post by joejoe »

CyberWolf wrote:Hy.
I was wondering, what programs should i download (if possible free/open source) to compile FAR and the plugins that are in the SVN.
i had some problems with compilation in mingw, so alexy advised me to try it with newer w32api headers.

I couldn't find newer w32api headers at http://www.mingw.org/ .GCC compiler is also part of cygwin ( http://www.cygwin.com/ ), which have required headers.

to moderators: maybe could be useful to move some messages into new threads.
CyberWolf

Post by CyberWolf »

Evrika :)

T-Rex, thanx for your help, i've managed to compile FAR manager.

All i needed was the MinGW and MSYS that can be found at hxxp://www.mingw.org.

I've downloaded this 2 install kits:
MSYS-1.0.10.exe
MinGW-5.1.3.exe

After starting MinGW (which is actually an installer) i've selected (don't know if you need all of them or not, but i tought i better have them just in case i need them :p ):
binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz
gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-1.tar.gz
gcc-g++-3.4.5-20060117-1.tar.gz
mingw32-make-3.81-2.tar.gz
mingw-runtime-3.13.tar.gz
w32api-3.10.tar.gz
gcc-objc-3.4.5-20060117-1.tar.gz

After that, i've made this BAT file (compile.bat)

Code: Select all

set PATH=F:\msys\1.0\bin\;F:\MinGW\bin;F:\MinGW\mingw32\bin;%PATH%
make.exe -f makefile_gcc
Of course, you'll have to change the paths to point to where MinGW and MSys have been installed.
I've copied the above batch file to f:\SVN\unicode_far (this is where i've downloaded the far from SVN) and ran it, after a few minutes i've had my brand new shiny FAR.EXE :D
(if you can't find it, just look in the newly created GCC folder)

For the plugins make this BAT file (compile_plugins.bat) and put it in the f:\SVN\Plugins folder :

Code: Select all

set PATH=F:\msys\1.0\bin\;F:\MinGW\bin;F:\MinGW\mingw32\bin;%PATH%
make.exe -f makefile_all_gcc
As stated above, change the paths according to your system.
For each plugin there will be a new folder created final.32.gcc this will contain the DLL, language and HLF (help) files.

Now, the only problem remains that the "EMenu" and "FTP" plugins don't compile yet, from what i can see they haven't been ported yet to the FAR 1.80 system.

I shure hope this is of some use to somebody and i also hope that new plugins will appear, or at least existing plugins will be ported to FAR 1.80 as i really like this new FAR manager (actually i always liked FAR manager :wink: )
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

CyberWolf wrote:Now, the only problem remains that the "EMenu" and "FTP" plugins don't compile yet, from what i can see they haven't been ported yet to the FAR 1.80 system.
EMenu is ported, but can be compiled only with msvc.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

CyberWolf
Just so you know, at the moment, you can create only non unicode plugins with mingw (had no time to update the makefiles).

P.S. You can post links already.