Multiple File Panels

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
JimWilson

Multiple File Panels

Post by JimWilson »

How can I have multiple file panels in one instance of FAR? I can load a ton of files for editing and viewing, and they all appear in the Screen List (F12). Switching back and forth between them is a breeze, but I can't seem to do the same with the file panels.

I've searched this forum, looked through the F1 Help and read all the docs there are, but I just can't find the answer. I know it must be right in front of me though. How's it done?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well, it can not be done. As a way out you can use Console Manager (might be called Console Server on plugring), this will let you run several FAR instances in one console window and switch between them using a hotkey.
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

Really?? That seems like a huge omission. FAR can obviously handle many, many files for editing and viewing, so it just seems natural that it could also do the same with panels. Do you know if there are any plans to have FAR handle multiple file panels? That would be tremendous update, IMHO. I'll check into that plugin though...
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

There are many plans but I can't really tell when we'll get to it.
paul_shmakov

Post by paul_shmakov »

Look at Multi-panel plugin
"This plug-in adds support for multiple file panels to File and archive manager. The user can open any number of file panels, and quickly switch between them, without running many copies of FAR. "
http://www.garret.ru/~baranov/#far_multi_panel
Paul
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

Thanks for the tip -- I actually did install that a month or two back. It's a very nice plugin, and does a lot of what I need, so it's gone a long way towards extending FAR in the manner I'd like (I have almost 10 panels "opened" using it right now :D).