Selected file(s) indicator / ArchiveCommands

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
Urmel

Selected file(s) indicator / ArchiveCommands

Post by Urmel »

Thank you for your effort to release the Far 1.70! I'm happy to use this fine software.

Now, I have a cosmetics and (perhaps) an understanding problem.

1. The selected files indicator sign (the cosmetic problem).

When I select one or more files, the select-indicator is shown as a "V". With Far 1.50b5 (Build 1634) the indicator sign is a root symbol. I think, the behaviour of the beta version is more clear. The build 1634 shows still a root symbol.

I use Windows 2k/SP4 with all patches. My localization is Swiss-German. I have the Far complelety uninstalled (the registry settings too). After the new installation, the indicator sign is still a "V".

I have testes this under WinXP too. The behaviour is the same as with Win2k.

2. Archive managing commands (Shift-F3).

The command Shift-F3 (Archive managing commands) is without any function.

This unexpected behaviour makes no differences whetever there are selected files/archives or the cursor bar is on an archive or the panel is in an archive.

Why can I use the function of Shift-F3?

Best wishes
-Urmel-
-=- A registered FAR user from switzerland -=-
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

ShiftF3 works fine, maybe you have a macro on that combination or you use it on an archive that has no commands - it works on rar and zip for sure.

About the 'V' symbol, I need to check it out as for me it shows the root symbol.
Urmel

Post by Urmel »

Hello "t-rex"
t-rex wrote:ShiftF3 works fine, maybe you have a macro on that combination or you use it on an archive that has no commands - it works on rar and zip for sure.
Now, I have found the problem. When I've activated the 7-zip plugin, the Shift-F3 (ArcCmd) has no function/reaction. But the Shift-F1 (Add) and Shift-F2 (Extrct) works as espected. If I deactivate the 7-zip plugin, Shift-F3 will brings up the Archive command menu.

All my tests are made with an zip archive.

But I've never read, that Shift-F3 will not work, when the 7-zip plugin is installed/activated.

Is the actual behaviour now a bug or working as designed?

t-rex wrote:About the 'V' symbol, I need to check it out as for me it shows the root symbol.
I've found, that the problem is joined with the unicode capabilities.
When I start the Far with the command line switch "/8", it shows a root symbol.

Can this information help you to find the origin of the problem?
Are this unicode capabilities not implemented in the beta build 1634?

Best wishes
-Urmel-
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Urmel wrote: Now, I have found the problem. When I've activated the 7-zip plugin, the Shift-F3 (ArcCmd) has no function/reaction. But the Shift-F1 (Add) and Shift-F2 (Extrct) works as espected. If I deactivate the 7-zip plugin, Shift-F3 will brings up the Archive command menu.

All my tests are made with an zip archive.

But I've never read, that Shift-F3 will not work, when the 7-zip plugin is installed/activated.

Is the actual behaviour now a bug or working as designed?
ShiftF3 is not a FAR command - it uses the currently installed archive managment plugin - when you installed 7-zip it gets the ShiftF3 but it doesn't support this command.
Urmel wrote:
t-rex wrote:About the 'V' symbol, I need to check it out as for me it shows the root symbol.
I've found, that the problem is joined with the unicode capabilities.
When I start the Far with the command line switch "/8", it shows a root symbol.

Can this information help you to find the origin of the problem?
Are this unicode capabilities not implemented in the beta build 1634?
This is a bit weird. Do you use other command line switches?
Urmel

Post by Urmel »

t.rex wrote:ShiftF3 is not a FAR command - it uses the currently installed archive managment plugin - when you installed 7-zip it gets the ShiftF3 but it doesn't support this command.
Thanks for this explanation! Are there further commands, which are not FAR commands? If so, is there a list of these commands?
t-rex wrote:This is a bit weird. Do you use other command line switches?
No, except this one I used no command line switches until now. I start FAR within a CMD shell or a 4NT shell. 4NT (v7.01) is since the version 7 only as a unicode mode shell available. But, there are no differences between running in a cmd or 4nt shell.

Best wishes
-Urmel-
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Urmel wrote:
t.rex wrote:ShiftF3 is not a FAR command - it uses the currently installed archive managment plugin - when you installed 7-zip it gets the ShiftF3 but it doesn't support this command.
Thanks for this explanation! Are there further commands, which are not FAR commands? If so, is there a list of these commands?
All the archive commands - ShiftF1, ShiftF2 and ShiftF3.
Urmel wrote:
t-rex wrote:This is a bit weird. Do you use other command line switches?
No, except this one I used no command line switches until now. I start FAR within a CMD shell or a 4NT shell. 4NT (v7.01) is since the version 7 only as a unicode mode shell available. But, there are no differences between running in a cmd or 4nt shell.
Have you tried to run FAR straight from Windows GUI and not from whitin an already opened console?
Urmel

Post by Urmel »

t-rex wrote:All the archive commands - ShiftF1, ShiftF2 and ShiftF3.
Thanks for this info!
t-rex wrote:Have you tried to run FAR straight from Windows GUI and not from whitin an already opened console?
Yes, from the icon created during the installation. With the same result :-(
Gammatester

Post by Gammatester »

I can reproduce the symptoms using a German Win2000 operating system (normally I am running Win98). The same "V" symbols instead of <root> symbols appear in the left/right menus for the selected formats IF you are using raster fonts (deutsch Rasterschriftarten). If I switch to TrueType Lucida Console the <root> symbols are shown (FAR /8 shows <root> symbols with raster fonts too).

So the problem seems to be related to displaying raster fonts with unicode.

Hope that helps

Wolfgang

PS: The FAR /8 switch is only documented in the online help, but not displayed if you type FAR /?
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Gammatester wrote: PS: The FAR /8 switch is only documented in the online help, but not displayed if you type FAR /?
What version you using?
for 1.70 release:
FAR /?

Code: Select all

...skipped...
 /8   Forces FAR to work in ANSI (non-Unicode) console.
...skipped...
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

The thing is that I see the root symbol no matter what font I use. But I'll try to locate this in the code.
Urmel

Post by Urmel »

Gammatester wrote:I can reproduce the symptoms using a German Win2000 operating system
Thank you for your help to circumscribe the problem! On my system the problem occurs with German Win2k and German WinXP.
Gammatester wrote:symbols appear in the left/right menus for the selected formats
Yes, in the file panels if you select file(s) AND in the menus.
Gammatester wrote:IF you are using raster fonts (deutsch Rasterschriftarten). If I switch to TrueType Lucida Console the <root> symbols are shown (FAR /8 shows <root> symbols with raster fonts too).
I must use a raster font for another application which I use daily in addition to the FAR.

t-rex wrote:The thing is that I see the root symbol no matter what font I use. But I'll try to locate this in the code.
In the FAR 1.70 beta 5 build 1634 the problem does not occur. After this version I used only the RCs. I installed the RCs, but I use these version only briefly. I wanted to study the final version more exactly. But I think, that this problem occurs in all the RCs. I thought that this unexpected behaviour can be eliminated with a new configuration option...

Best wishes
-Urmel-
Gammatester

Post by Gammatester »

DrKnS wrote:
Gammatester wrote: PS: The FAR /8 switch is only documented in the online help, but not displayed if you type FAR /?
What version you using?
for 1.70 release:
FAR /?

...skipped...
 /8   Forces FAR to work in ANSI (non-Unicode) console.
...skipped...
The lastest release

C:\TMP>far /?
The FAR manager, version 1.70 (build 2087)
Copyright (C) 1996-2000 Eugene Roshal, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 FAR Group
The following switches may be used in the command line:

/?   This help.
 /a   Disable display of characters with codes 0 - 31 and 255.
 /ag  Disable display of pseudographics characters.
 /e[<line>[:<pos>]] <filename>
      Edit the specified file.
 /i   Set small (16x16) icon for FAR console window.
 /p[<path>]
      Search for "common" plugins in the directory, specified by <path>.
 /co  Forces FAR to load plugins from the cache only.
 /rc  Restore console windows settings upon exiting FAR.
 /u <username>
      Allows to have separate settings for different users.
 /v <filename>
      View the specified file. If <filename> is -, data is read from the stdin.
 /x   Disable exception handling.

C:\TMP>
It may be that the /8 switch is shown on Unicode systems conly and not on Win98.

Wolfgang
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »