hebrew filenames

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
marius

hebrew filenames

Post by marius »

Hi,

Is it possible to make far show hebrew filenames ?
How ?

Thanks.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

marius
Definitely it is.
t-rex has vast experience in this.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

marius
Well it was pretty easy under windows 9x but since WinXP (or maybe earlier) MS have officialy removed support for RTL languages from the console. You can still make Far to show hebrew and the development unicode version of Far also shows RTL languages but many unwanted artifacts occur which we have no control over. To see hebrew in Far 1.7x you need to set hebrew as the default language for non unicode programs and set a TrueType font for the console window. By default you can only select LucidaConsole which doesn't have hebrew characters (also they are some times shown anyway in some mestirious way). The best font I have seen for hebrew in the console window is Curier New, but it is quite problematic to make this font selectable for a console window.
marius

Post by marius »

I remember from the past, when XP was new, I was using the dosapp.fon font from windows 98 and set it on the console as Raster 10X18 or something like that.
Do you know if this can work with far ?
What about the heb-vga util ?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

marius
Yes the win98 fonts should work fine. heb-vga if I remember correctly is a dos resident and won't work in XP.