Text partially invisible in maximized vindow

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
MartinP

Text partially invisible in maximized vindow

Post by MartinP »

Hello.

When I maximize Far via ALT-F9, then the last letter on all long and wrapped lines is partially hidden behind the window's border. In the unwrapped mode this would be fine, but in the wrapped mode the text is partially unreadable. See the attached screenshot (the gray window border is barely visible, but it is there).

According to Alexy the moderator, this is not a bug. So if this is a correct behaviour, how can I solve my problem?

Some additional info:

- This "feature" occurs mainly in non-standard screen resolutions, e.g. when you set the Windows taskbar to hide automatically, move it up or to the right-hand side. In some situations everything is OK, in some situations the same happens at the bottom of the window, but there it is not so important.

- When I move the window with mouse, a little bit is sufficient, then everything fixes. But I don't want to have to reposition the Far window each time I maximize it.

Thanks,
Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

MartinP
AltSpace - Properties - Layout. I hope you know that far is a console program, and what a console window is.
MartinP

Re: Text partially invisible in maximized vindow

Post by MartinP »

Alexy, you must be joking! Of course that I can resize the window each time I maximize it, but why the hell should I do that? If I follow your advice, then

1. Alt-F9 Alt-F9 returns to that wrong size again,

2. If I set the "fixed" size permanent, then Alt-F9 stops resizing the window to "normal" size, and the Alt-F9 key becames completely useless.

A quotation from the Far help:
"Alt-F9 Toggles the size of the FAR console window".

I appologize to the other readers for the angry tone, this discussion is just a continuation from elsewhere.

Martin.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

MartinP
Thats how console windows work, don't like it - don't use it.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

No boy, I'm pretty sure that FAR has this "how windows console works" problem already solved somehow in the Alt-F9 code, it only needs a small correction - which I call a "bug fix".

Alt-F9 does not a proper window maximalization, it only sets the console size to "appear" to be maximized. In order to do that, it gets somehow the information about the available screen size, and then computes the maximal dimensions for the Far window. The problem lies in this computation, because it sometimes returns incorrect dimensions. This is what needs to be fixed.

I cannot force anyone - neither you - to fix the problem. I'm aware that Far development depends on voluntaries' work. But the whole argument began because you aggressively obstructed me from reporting the problem.

Martin.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

MartinP wrote:The problem lies in this computation, because it sometimes returns incorrect dimensions. This is what needs to be fixed.
It's fixed a long time ago, but not documented yet :)

HKCU\software\far\screen
DeltaXY: REG_DWORD
where DeltaXY is COORD structure.

For example, if DeltaXY is 0xffffffff (what mean {-1;-1}), both window dimensions will be decreased by one character.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Thank you DrKnS. I suppose that this is fixed in version 1.8x, because in 1.70-final it doesn't seem to work - true?

Martin.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Oh yeah, it works even in 1.70! I appologize, I put DeltaXY into HKLM instead of HKCU.

Thank you very much!

Martin.