Non-english characters in file names

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

t-rex wrote:Try running FAR with the /a or /ag command line options.
The /a makes no change.

The /ag makes a big change, but I wouldn't call it an improvement :) I'd rather have a single question mark in few places than the whole frame looking that way! :shock:
gladto

please, Type '한글' in FAR

Post by gladto »

please, Type '한글' in FAR

maybe...
you will see the wrong character
'╟╤'

Of course,
I set the korean as default language for non-unicode

I hope see '한글' in Far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hraymond

Hungarian character set not recognized

Post by hraymond »

Even if my default language is Hungarian, Far recognizes only English and Russian. The desktop shows that I am using the Hungarian keyboard layout and character set, Far still uses English. I am using Windows ME but that hardly is a problem.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

From FAR FAQ

[2] How to switch keyboard to national language

Under Windows 95 it is performed in the same way as with DOS
applications, so your DOS keyboard driver must be loaded (a Windows
standard one, or any other).

Switching languages under Windows NT is similar to other Windows
(not DOS!) applications and requires Windows support for desired
language to be installed.
xp190

Copying files with non-english characters.

Post by xp190 »

Hi Guys

I have a file that looks like this

Soda Stereo - El Último Concierto, Pt. A.jpg

When I try to copy it with Far, it fails stating that it can not find the file.

The filename you see above I got from Windows Explorer, Far, sees the Ú as a regular U, which is why I think it's doing this.

If anyone could suggest a way to fix this, or get Far to pick up the characters correctly, I would be very grateful.

I looked through the entire forum, but have not found any specific soltuions, a lot of talk about displaying characters correctly, but nothing about this.

Thanking you in advance

xp
xp190

Post by xp190 »

I should probably also mention that Windows Explorer does not have this problem, and I know people who would bet their life that Explorer does not even compare to Far, and in some cases I agree, not in this one however...

So how do I fix this, work around this? The file needs to be copied, as do the 5000 other files that have this problem.

Anyone help??? please??

xp
nightroman

Post by nightroman »

FAR does not support Unicode, it is a well known feature. They say Unicode FAR is coming but don't expect it will be very soon.

Personally, I use plugin PowerShellFar where provider panel (provider is FileSystem in this case) work fine with Unicode paths, you can perform all standard operations (copy, move, delete, rename, copy here with new name and etc, the only issue is that special chars are not displayed in FAR correctly anyway, but it is minor problem).

Perhaps other plugins can work around this problem too, try to find and look at them.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Far does not support unicode. You can use one of the available plugins to copy such files, like background copy or filecopyex.