Non-english characters in file names

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
gladto

Non-english characters in file names

Post by gladto »

Is there any way to use korean langauge?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

If there is a way to open a non unicode console with korean language then it should work, otherwise not.
twilight

Post by twilight »

t-rex wrote:If there is a way to open a non unicode console with korean language then it should work, otherwise not.
Set default language to Korean. it works fine for me.
Lech Walesa

National characters for view and print in FAR???

Post by Lech Walesa »

Hi there

I have a problem with my national characters in FAR when view, edit and print. I`m from Poland and want to use cp852 or ISO-8859-2 char table but can`t find any information about it ...
I trying to print text files on my Star LC-100 (LPT port) dot matrix printer from FAR but bad char code mode is the same ...

What i have to do for properly view and print my national characters ???

I working on Windows 2000, AMD K6-2 450MHz

greetings for all
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

You need to set polish language as the default for non unicode programs in regional settings. And you should also add the "ISO-8859-2 (Latin II).reg" chartable from FAR addons.
Lech Walesa

Post by Lech Walesa »

I added that Latin II to my register, but I don`t know where i have to change that 'non unicode programs' ???

thx for your help
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Control Panel -> Regional settings
Lech Walesa

Post by Lech Walesa »

but where i have to do that in this regional settings?
in regional settings in 'Settings for a current user/My regional settings (localization)' i have Polish, in Regional settings in 'Installed regional settings/Language - keyboard map' i have it too in polish mode, where exactly i have to chanage this ?
i can`t find that '...for non Unicode programs'

greetings and thx for your help with it
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Control Panel -> Regional Options -> General -> Set Default... -> here select polish

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/hand ... .mspx#EAAA
deyot

Post by deyot »

Hello.
I have a problem of a simillar nature. I would like to know how to change character table that is used to display filenames in rar panels. I lately installed some .reg files with character tables and since then I have a problem. In Far panels filenames that use national characters are displayed wrong: i.e. I get "?" sign in a place where a letter should be. How to solve that problem? How to uninstall character tables? Maybe that would help?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Character tables have nothing to do with file panels. If you see ? then it is probably a character that is not from your default encoding for non-unicode programs.
Konrad

The ? in FAR frames

Post by Konrad »

First of all: Hello everybody! I am a many-years-long everyday user of FAR, that was my first registered shareware application... Thanks to you guys for the truly excellent tool!

A small question: after changing default encoding for non-Unicode programs, the FAR panel frames are not shown properly: the characters representing the places where frames join are shown as question marks. The same is true for character showing checked option in the menu.

Is there an easy way to fix this little irritating thing?

Thanks for help!
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

You can try and use the lucida console font for the console windows (it is set in the properties of the console window).
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

t-rex wrote:You can try and use the lucida console font for the console windows (it is set in the properties of the console window).
Tried this already, no luck :(
One of NC clones I used for a while ages ago made the frames in a bit different way to avoid the issue: instead of the character looking like ||- it used simply || and it looked still OK, even though the frame lines were not fully connected -- better this than a ? char. Is there any way (apart from implementing it) to force FAR to use different characters for frame drawing?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Try running FAR with the /a or /ag command line options.