RC2 installs multple languages

Here you can report bugs found in Far Manager.
JimWilson

RC2 installs multple languages

Post by JimWilson »

When I installed RC2 on my system I selected the English language, but some of the files installed were for the Russian language too. Shouldn't it install only the files from the selected language? There's no need for English speaking people to have Russian files, or vice a versa.
t-rex
Admin

Re: RC2 installs multple languages

Post by t-rex »

JimWilson wrote:When I installed RC2 on my system I selected the English language, but some of the files installed were for the Russian language too. Shouldn't it install only the files from the selected language? There's no need for English speaking people to have Russian files, or vice a versa.
Well, many russian users select the english install but also use the russian files. It shouldn't really bother you to much as they are in different folders now.
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

There were Russian versions of .lng, .hlf, readme's, etc scattered throughout many directories, not just one. I deleted a lot of files that weren't English language specific.

Just curious; what's the benefit of asking for a language when all the files are going to be installed anyway? Is that so the install program knows what language to display things in, or is there something else?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

JimWilson wrote:There were Russian versions of .lng, .hlf, readme's, etc scattered throughout many directories, not just one. I deleted a lot of files that weren't English language specific.

Just curious; what's the benefit of asking for a language when all the files are going to be installed anyway? Is that so the install program knows what language to display things in, or is there something else?
Well, it is mostly the language for the installer itself and if I'm not wrong it also sets the language for FAR interface. And why does those language files bother you so much - they take almost no space?
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

It's not that they necessarily bother me so much, it just seems like a bug. When you select the English language during the install of a software package you generally get just that; English language files. Since the Far install does something other then that it could technically be described as either non-standard behavior or a bug. I only posted about it in case that was a bug that needed to be corrected before the official release.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well, it's not a bug.