New ideas

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heared? Write here.
Tocke

New ideas

Post by Tocke »

- better quick access directory support (show always in a line which directories are programmed to the numbers)
- to set "always view in windows mode" (F8 in view files)
- restore selection as it was before the last operation
- copying files thats order what I set it in the sort modes (if I set sort by names, then copy the files in thats order)
- when I press and hold CTRL+PAGE UP, stop it in the root directory, don't display the drives list
- hungarian translation :)
t-rex
Admin

Re: New ideas

Post by t-rex »

Tocke wrote:- better quick access directory support (show always in a line which directories are programmed to the numbers)
F9->Commands->Folder Shortcuts
Tocke wrote:- to set "always view in windows mode" (F8 in view files)
There is a plugin for this kind of things for the editor. As for the viewer you can make a macro that will open the viewer and select the needed encoding and assign it to F3.
Tocke wrote:- restore selection as it was before the last operation
There is a plugin called permanency that does just this.
Tocke wrote:- copying files thats order what I set it in the sort modes (if I set sort by names, then copy the files in thats order)
That will probably never happen, and there is also logic behind the current behaviour.
Tocke wrote:- when I press and hold CTRL+PAGE UP, stop it in the root directory, don't display the drives list
Press Ctrl-\
Tocke wrote:- hungarian translation :)
If you won't do it, no one will.
Tocke

Re: New ideas

Post by Tocke »

t-rex wrote:
Tocke wrote:- better quick access directory support (show always in a line which directories are programmed to the numbers)
F9->Commands->Folder Shortcuts
Yes, I know it's place. But I think it would be great, when I always see it. For example in a new line over status bar... or when I press and hold a combination (CTRL+a key or ALT+a key).... or anything like this...

Thanks for other answers!
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well, you can create the following macro: F9 C d
and assign it to any key you want
Onanymous

Post by Onanymous »

1. Editor in panels
2. Soft hyphenations in editor
3. possibility to turn alt+enter off in the registry.
4. native autocomplete support everywhere (plugins suck)
5. local folders synchronization
6. quicker (system?) file delete/rename (possibly separate compilations for different systems)
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Onanymous wrote:1. Editor in panels
What do you mean by this? edit:!.! ?
Onanymous wrote:2. Soft hyphenations in editor
What do you mean?
Onanymous wrote:3. possibility to turn alt+enter off in the registry.
In win9x this can be done from the pif file that loads FAR. In NT it's more tricky but can be done using a plugin, you might try to ask the author of the console server to add such feauture.
Onanymous wrote:4. native autocomplete support everywhere (plugins suck)
Plugins rule! :wink:
Onanymous wrote:5. local folders synchronization
There are great tools that do this, like rsync etc.
Onanymous wrote:6. quicker (system?) file delete/rename (possibly separate compilations for different systems)
BackgroundCopy or FileCopyEx plugin
Onanymous

Post by Onanymous »

t-rex wrote:
I mean it would be nice to open editor in a single panel while using another one for different purposes.
t-rex wrote:
What do you mean?
Sorry, I probably do not make myself clear enough, by soft hyphen I understand the feature implemented in viewer as wrap, it would also be nice to wrap it not at the screen edge but at a given column.
t-rex wrote:
In win9x this can be done from the pif file that loads FAR. In NT it's more tricky but can be done using a plugin, you might try to ask the author of the console server to add such feauture.
It is tricky! If you remember that alt+letters is used for fast file navigation, you would probably agree that this should be the techinfo feature. I am not the only one willing to turn it off (who ever uses the full screen?), I do see questions abou this at other forums.
t-rex wrote:
In general, but not in this case. From two plugins implementing this feature one simply does not work, and another one works ok but do not releases files, so it is not possible to delete the file that was last accessed by autocomplete. Anyhow I do not see the reason to write plugins for something that is included in simple cmd.exe in windows (at least nt 4x-5x). Isn't it stupid?
t-rex wrote:
Yes there are, but I always thought that the file manager is supposed to have this feature. I even tried to write it myself but...
t-rex wrote:
Onanymous wrote:6. quicker (system?) file delete/rename (possibly separate compilations for different systems)
That is also right, but is not it strange that to delete/rename file usually takes FAR much longer than, sorry, explorer? As far as I understand plugins should add the functionality but are not required for normal work. Have you ever tried to delete 1000 files from a temporary panel?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Onanymous wrote:
t-rex wrote:
I mean it would be nice to open editor in a single panel while using another one for different purposes.
A strange feature. Why would you need it?
Onanymous wrote:
t-rex wrote:
What do you mean?
Sorry, I probably do not make myself clear enough, by soft hyphen I understand the feature implemented in viewer as wrap, it would also be nice to wrap it not at the screen edge but at a given column.
Not in 1.70.
Onanymous wrote:
t-rex wrote:
It is tricky! If you remember that alt+letters is used for fast file navigation, you would probably agree that this should be the techinfo feature. I am not the only one willing to turn it off (who ever uses the full screen?), I do see questions abou this at other forums.
FAR as a console application does not recieve AltEnter, so no techinfo will help.
Onanymous wrote:
t-rex wrote:
In general, but not in this case. From two plugins implementing this feature one simply does not work, and another one works ok but do not releases files, so it is not possible to delete the file that was last accessed by autocomplete. Anyhow I do not see the reason to write plugins for something that is included in simple cmd.exe in windows (at least nt 4x-5x). Isn't it stupid?
CtrlE, CtrlEnd in command line. Or use plugins.
Onanymous wrote:
t-rex wrote:
Yes there are, but I always thought that the file manager is supposed to have this feature. I even tried to write it myself but...
If no one has written it yet, then it's probably not that important.
Onanymous wrote:
t-rex wrote:
That is also right, but is not it strange that to delete/rename file usually takes FAR much longer than, sorry, explorer? As far as I understand plugins should add the functionality but are not required for normal work. Have you ever tried to delete 1000 files from a temporary panel?
Try this:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Far\Interface]
"ShowTimeoutDelFiles"=dword:00000500
Onanymous

Post by Onanymous »

Thank you for your answers, I just found out there is an official russian forum available here (it is not referred at http://farmanager.com/links.php?l=en) so I finish practicing my english. Just some small remarks :)
A strange feature. Why would you need it?
Just imagine, in the left panel the gnuplot-script exporting graph to an eps file (or a tex file producing ps) is open while in the right one I got the quickview of the file. together with using the compiler and pic it would make me absolutely happy. Or you would be able to open two files for editing in two panels like in notepad++ - it is also very useful. this feature was promised by multipanel developers but I believe it fits well into a 'panel concept' of the FAR.
Not in 1.70.
Pity.
FAR as a console application does not recieve AltEnter, so no techinfo will help.
True. I did not think about it. On the other hand it does intercept tab or ctrl+f (native automplete). Am I right? Where can I read about the 'tricky way' to handle this on NT systems (no, not to microsoft.com)?
CtrlE, CtrlEnd in command line. Or use plugins.
I always thought these are the history keys, by the way it would also be nice if the history would take account of what is typed in the command line, such that if I start typing 'de' it would suggest me something that starts with 'de' from the history, oh!, just like in dialogs :).
If no one has written it yet, then it's probably not that important.
That is true again, but then why do you ask here what we are missing in FAR? :)
paul_kiss

Post by paul_kiss »

Before I post this 1st message I must say that I'm no programmer, developer, script-writer or whatever of this sort. So my wishes are the wishes of a simple "consumer".

1. Built-in archive support.
That sucks, imho, that one needs to go somewhere and download something to be able to zip/unzip etc. Yes, I know the links where I can download the necessary stuff, but why not have the default bult-in zip/unzip support (with rar support it'd be even better)?

2. The thing with ukrainian letter -i-. Yes, I know about RUSCII. But why aint it solved by default? Why make those changes on the system level?

3. Saving settings not in the registry.
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

paul_kiss wrote:1. Built-in archive support.
That sucks, imho, that one needs to go somewhere and download something to be able to zip/unzip etc. Yes, I know the links where I can download the necessary stuff, but why not have the default bult-in zip/unzip support (with rar support it'd be even better)?
We are working on it.
paul_kiss wrote:2. The thing with ukrainian letter -i-. Yes, I know about RUSCII. But why aint it solved by default? Why make those changes on the system level?
You'll have to wait for unicode :cry:
paul_kiss wrote:3. Saving settings not in the registry.
Well there is a chance that some one will create a tool for this.
paul_kiss

Post by paul_kiss »

We are working on it.
Will it appear in the nearest releases?

You'll have to wait for unicode
How long?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

paul_kiss wrote:
We are working on it.
Will it appear in the nearest releases?
Probably not.

paul_kiss wrote:
You'll have to wait for unicode
How long?
Nobody knows :cry:
Lofote

Post by Lofote »

3. Saving settings not in the registry.
To be honest, this suggestion makes me rather angry. Why? Please tell me one valid reason, why to give up thousands of great advantages of using the registry for the settings for some people who have a strange dislike against the registry? Do you even know how powerful the usage of the registry is for example for admins who don't want to set up every single workstation with their FAR settings but want to use a single REG file during login, that merges(!! <- not completely overwrite!) their favorite settings with the current ones? Do you even know how much faster ANY program starts up that reads 100+ settings from the registry compared to INI files, config text files or any other lame format, alone due to the fact, that the registry is sorted and indexed, and integer values are saved as integer and not as text (which slows reading and writing down again)? Do you know what such legacy setting file formats mean to serverbased profiles? Do you know what it means to be not able to just apply some REG files in the FAR\Addons directory to do some specific settings (such a thing does not exist with INI files, at least not Windows-inhouse!)...

You must understand why I react rather harsh here, but most times when people want to have a non-registry-based settings location it is only because either they are filled up with rumours about how slow and/or dangerous the registry is, or because they are too lazy to deal with this really great but on the first look strange way to handle with settings, incl. backing up them for other computers (which IS possible, just use the batch files provided with FAR in the main directory). Or -and this is the most time- both of the above!

Hopefully you now know there is a reason for the registry and for using it, and it really blows away ANYthing else for this matter... you just don't have to be so lazy to deal with it :)...
paul_kiss

Post by paul_kiss »

Lofote
To your many "do you know" I'll reply you with "No, I dont". Read the 1st 2 lines of this message of mine, and you'll understand why I'm saying what I'm saying.

So since working with registry makes so much sense, why not make it optional? "Save settings in the registry"/"Keep registry clean, save all in INI file". That'll satifsy both fans of the registry and those who prefer the clear and understood (for them) way of dealing with settings.

You just dont have to be that categorical here, not so many ppl in the world are that laborous to learn all things about registry. They just want use their favourite file manager, nothing beyond that.