Store settings in INI instead of registry

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heared? Write here.
TCA

Post by TCA »

At school we have a very-very limited user, so we can't add new registry values and there are predefined applications which can modify the registry, so there is no such workaround that we could simply add-remove anything we want. When I said there are places where you can't change the registry's HKCU I meant physical places (like school,netcafe,etc), not registry hives. I think that in these cases a bit slower working is acceptable. So is there a chance that this feature (a command-line switch, or similar to save into file instead of the registry) will be implemented in the future, or we have to forget this forever? If a man who is a programmer in the FAR Group says that "We won't write the code for this", then there is no need to argue about this.
Lofote

Post by Lofote »

When I said there are places where you can't change the registry's HKCU I meant physical places (like school,netcafe,etc), not registry hives.
But those are places where the admin INTENDS to block you from using any other programs. I am pretty sure, that it is also a violation against the usage rules of such systems.
You see, in those locked-down systems, even the list of EXE files that may be executed at all are most likely limited to wanted ones. Such locked-down-systems are "by design" locked :).

I am however pretty sure that you can write to most HKCU keys there as well, as nearly all software (that runs there) needs write access. If those admins really locked down HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, so that only few wanted changes are allowed (which is a lot to do for an admin, believe me), the chances are very high, that you won't get your own EXEcutables from a USB stick or anything else to run because of EXE restrictions. (if the second is not the case you have found a hole in the security perimeter of those systems ;) - but in that case you still should not want to abuse that out of moral reasons.)
pepak

Post by pepak »

Well, apparently nothing is going to change any time soon.

But if there were to be any changes, I would prefer a "plugin" approach to the problem - simply export the saving and loading of values to a DLL file and let the user decide whether he wants to use a registry-accessing-DLL or INI-accessing-DLL, XML-accessing-DLL or even Oracle-accessing-DLL... FAR could maybe default to registry if no "settings.dll" was wound.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

TCA
even if this will be implemented in the future... what will you do with plugins settings?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

DrKnS
Well, no simple solution is available for old plugins but if we ever implement this in FAR then an API for reading and writing settings will also be given to the plugins.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

t-rex wrote:Well, no simple solution is available for old plugins
That I meant.
To store all settings in ini files, somebody must rewrite all popular plugins - a very funny work...
Registry hook from plugin or external application is more simple, and this idea is very old, but not implemented... Seems, nobody seriously need it ;)
TCA

Post by TCA »

Well, I would write a plugin if I had some information/a little example about registry hooking. I've started a topic at sysinternals forum about this, but there were no answer (actually there were one - the guy thought he is funny :fool: ). The other problem, I only know Delphi/Object Pascal (and a little C) which is not the best I think. About "Seems, nobody seriously need it" thats a half-truth (who needs it - can't code it, who can code it - doesn't need it)
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

Lofote wrote: Yes, it IS a problem.
I certainly don't want to wait for FAR just because it loads of some stupid text file.
You seem to totally underestimate what it means to load ~200 settings at startup. Maybe you should try it out before you state something like that.
Unless you're trying to read the file from a floppy disk the amount of time it takes to load a file containing a mere 200 lines is almost too small to even measure, so I can't imagine that would be an issue.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

JimWilson
for 200 lines time may be small, but 200 lines - too small for FAR :)
For example, my FarSave1.reg contain almost 20000 lines, and its size is near to 700 KB...
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

JimWilson
It's writing the settings what might become noticeably slow in case of a text file storage.

DrKnS
My FarSave1.reg is over 1 MB and contains over 24 K lines (about 3 K lines of these are taken by histories). :friends:
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

TCA wrote:Well, I would write a plugin if I had some information/a little example about registry hooking. I've started a topic at sysinternals forum about this, but there were no answer (actually there were one - the guy thought he is funny :fool: ). The other problem, I only know Delphi/Object Pascal (and a little C) which is not the best I think. About "Seems, nobody seriously need it" thats a half-truth (who needs it - can't code it, who can code it - doesn't need it)
I don't think there is any specific info on registry hooking, but what you need to do to create such a program is to overload every import of far.exe and plugins of registry functions with your own. And your program can not be a plugin, it has to be an exe that runs Far so you can overload that functions before Far even starts. You can check out the sources of ConMan which uses the same technic to overload (hook) some other imports.
pepak

Post by pepak »

DrKnS, HaRT: Well, my FarSave is 5000 lines. So what? It may have escaped your notice, but all these questions about INI files consider such an approach to saving and loading FAR settings as an alternative, not a replacement. Why you are so set against it to repeat two rather irrelevant arguments ("I don't need it" and "I wouldn't like the slowdown") is beyond my understanding.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

pepak
As Far isn't open-source, and as Far Group members can afford only limited Far development efforts, I would like more important features (like Unicode support) to arrive first.
pepak

Post by pepak »

Then argue that "There are more important things to do, such as ...". Not that everyone will agree with you all of a sudden, but at least it will be a valid argumentation and not irrelevant whining.

Personally, I don't need either INI files or Unicode. Should I use your approach and whine that "Unicode will slow down my system, because filenames will take up twice as much RAM as they do now" and "FAR Group members should devote their time to more useful things, such as Synchronize Directories command"? I am sure that would do a lot of good (sarcasm). Why can't we devote this thread to discussion about HOW to best implement INI-files and leave the WHEN (and IF) to Far Group themselves?
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

You guys have Farsave1.reg files with 20,000 or more lines?? :shock: My copy of Far -- with almost 2 dozen plug ins and a LOT of daily usage -- contains about 4,000 lines and is less then 150K. Perhaps it's time you cleaned out some of that unused crap, huh? :D