Multiple destinations - why not in paralel?

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heared? Write here.
pepak

Multiple destinations - why not in paralel?

Post by pepak »

I have just copied a directory to four different places using "process multiple destinations". The thing that struck me as strange was that FAR copied the directory to the first location, then the second location, etc. Is there a particular reason why won't FAR copy the first file to all four locations, then the second file, then the third, etc.? It should save on reads (only one read needed rather than N, where N is the number of destinations)
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

pepak
Well it is not one read per file and writing each read buffer to N location might even slow the copying because the HD head will have to jump constantly. It all depends on file size and many other things and no optimal algorithm can be created for all cases. In addition to do as you want we will have to rewrite the copy function, as when this feature was added it was easy - you only had to add a loop that used the existing function.
pepak

Post by pepak »

OK then. It was just a thought. I can live with multiple destinations as they are now (I use them rarely anyway).