Background search

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
IgorT75

Background search

Post by IgorT75 »

I need (and I'm not alone) in a background search in Far - it can take a lot of time to find one file using AltF7 on whole disk - and Far is unusable during this search.

Is there some plugin for it or some workaround?
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

IgorT75
The workaround is to open another Far window. The ConMan tool can be very useful to handle several console windows.
jonib

Re: Background search

Post by jonib »

IgorT75 wrote:I need (and I'm not alone) in a background search in Far - it can take a lot of time to find one file using AltF7 on whole disk - and Far is unusable during this search.

Is there some plugin for it or some workaround?
Hi IgorT75.

Sometime ago I asked for a faster way to search in FAR and after that I found two programs that can be used with FAR that is faster then the built in search.
First a free one:NTFS Direct File Find
It's a command line utility that works on local NTFS partitions only, It can search one drive at a time.

To search my 5 harddisks with 1.5 terabytes takes 2-3 minutes.

And a pay($30) one with a trial: FindOnClick
It's a GUI program but has support for the command line and can search other filesystems then NTFS. it's $30 but comes with 7 other utilities.

To search my 5 harddisks with 1.5 terabytes takes 15-30 seconds. :shock:

With both programs I used 5 commands in parallel one per harddisk to search all harddisks at the same time, if run in serial it would take upto 5 times longer.
IgorT75

Post by IgorT75 »

jonib: thanks for links - it helps
jonib

Post by jonib »

IgorT75 wrote:jonib: thanks for links - it helps
If you want to search multiple HDDs at the same time? I could post the batch file I use.