compression/decompression troubles with .ace format

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
blokosss

compression/decompression troubles with .ace format

Post by blokosss »

Hello, I'm Pierre, here's my first post on this forum:

I'm new to Far (i'm a 3 years Total Commander user), and i really like some aspects of the text based interface (powerfull, light, swift and all). In one week I've learn how to use the main functions of this program, and i must admit that... TC is collecting dust.

I'm not a developper at all, so it's sometimes hard for me to understand how things really work ! for example, i'm playing with the Archiver command lines, but the help text is not so easy to understand for a neophyte:
In a real situation, i'm trying to compress and decompress files in .ace format. For that i use multiarc to browse my archives, I've put ace32.exe (ace v2.6) in the Far main folder, and the extract command is set by default (ace32 x {-p%%P} -y -c- -std {%%S} %%A @%%LN)

I can enter in the archive, but when i drag and drop compressed files to the other panel, the command line says:

#ACE v2.6 Copyright by ACE Compression Software Aug 05 2005 #17:36:19
#!!You MUST REGISTER after a 30 days test period. Please read #ORDER\ORDER.TXT!!!

#processing archive \..the name of my file.ace
#Working: Creating listfile. Please wait.
#Working: Reading archive. Please wait.

#>_

no error red box, no decompression, and the file does not appear in the other panel.
I can understand most of the commands for the ace32.exe itself (except -c- maybe, if my file was compressed with c2 method it won't work i presume). But the commands of Far are chinese to me (F1 doesn't help me)...
When i try to compress a file, then i have an red box error code 2 (file not found).
What's wrong?

Appart from that, ZIP and RAR operations seem to be alright.

Regards

Pierre, from Paris
Vasilis

Post by Vasilis »

replace @%%LN
with %%F
blokosss

Post by blokosss »

Hello Vasilis, thanks for your reply. So now the extract command line looks like :

ace32 x {-p%%P} -y -c- -std {%%S} %%A %%F

And regretably i have that error on decompressing any file from an ace archive :

archiver reported exit code 255

Oo, that's the message for the abortion command... weird
Vasilis

Post by Vasilis »

you should also replace the 'extract without path' string.
it should work.... is the archive damaged?
blokosss

Post by blokosss »

No, that solution doesn't work either.
The archive is not damaged, Total commander can extract any file (.avi) from the ace archives i'm testing. The compressed files contain space in their names, is it a problem?
Is there a way to know which method was used to create those archives?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Could you post one of the problematic archives somewhere?
blokosss

Post by blokosss »

hello, in fact i can't compress or decompress any file with ace32 set up like that. The errors appear on any file, independently of the file extension or the name of the file/archive. I have managed to decompress or compress successfuly a bunch of files, but with the %%F command instead of the default one, and only with names of files/archives without space in it. Why the default settings doesn't work on my config? (Far 1.70b5, ace32 2.6)

Thanks!
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

Well it seems to be a bug in ace 2.6, it apparently does not undertand list files (although it is stated in help that it should). Change all @%%LN to %%FQ512 and every thing will work ok. But as I see it, you are better of using ace 2.04 which works with list files. And well, ace seems like a dead archiver, consider switching to some other - like 7z or rar.
blokosss

Post by blokosss »

Cool! it works fine with the %%FQ512 command. I don't understand what you mean by 'list files', but i won't keep using ace format. But when i receive an archive in .ace, i must be able to read it...

see ya, and thank you for your help!

Pierre
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

blokosss wrote:Cool! it works fine with the %%FQ512 command. I don't understand what you mean by 'list files', but i won't keep using ace format. But when i receive an archive in .ace, i must be able to read it...

see ya, and thank you for your help!

Pierre
Let's say you need to archive or extract 100 files - now if the archiver supports list files you can create a file that contains all the names of the files you need to archive or extract and feed it to the archiver, but if it doesn't support list files then you have to give all their names in the command line which creates a problem because the length of the command line is limited and all 100 names won't fit in it so you need to call the archiver several times to acomplish what you need - and if you are archiving to a solid archive that really creates a problem. That is way most archiver support list files, ace v2.04 did too but something happened in v2.6 that broke this support apparently.