Plugin for DAR (Disk ARchiver)

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heared? Write here.
zi4

Plugin for DAR (Disk ARchiver)

Post by zi4 »

hi all,

I'm making backups of several servers (Linux+Windows) using DAR (DiskARchiver). Dar is a very powerful command line archiver, a kind of younger brother of tar, the most common Linux archiver. But dar supports differential and incremental backups, which I use everyday since a few months (automatic rotating backups). Dar runs much faster on Linux than dar.exe on Windows, that's why I backup Windows servers using a Linux machine.
Well, I didn't have to restore much till now, but it would (and it will) take me some time to find the quickest way to find the correct files inside the archives... I already have hundreds of big dar files and millions of files inside them. So, I need a browser for Dar files before someone deletes something from a server... or I may lose my job... :cry:
Well, I know there is kdar for kde, but I could not compile it for Redhat nor Debian.

Is someone out there who could help me build a FAR plugin using dar and Dar_manager?
Or, even better, let me help you with it! (I alredy tried to make a plugin for mc (midnight commander, for linux) but no success...
Who wants to try?

I attached some docs. You can download Dar.exe (it's open source) at http://dar.linux.free.fr/ or I can post it here (2.8MB, including cygwin.dll + docs).

I just started testing Far and I already feel familiar with it. I used Norton commander vs3.0 "some" years ago and the great Volkov commander i still use... maybe there is a slight similarity? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zi4

Post by zi4 »

Surely many people are (and more will be) using :arrow: Dar archives (http://dar.linux.free.fr/) regularly.
A browsing/extracting tool like Far would be great! :o
Anyone gives it a try?
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Given you have a command-line dar.exe, the easiest way to integrate (but unfortunately not the fastest way to use) it to Far is to use MiltiArc's Custom.fmt via its Custom.ini. See %FARHOME%\Plugins\MultiArc\Formats\Custom.ini
PS Please don't forget to publish your [DAR] section for MultiArc's Custom.ini once you create it ;)