everyday things that FAR should do in the future

Want to suggest an idea for a new plug-in? Know for sure what is needed for plug-in X to become the best? Write here.
Pooman

everyday things that FAR should do in the future

Post by Pooman »

1. environment variables should be passed to children processes, commands that modify environment may allow parent's environment to change as well, maybe as an option?
2. network directories cause problem when running local utilities under those directories; can't run the tools, paths not searched, tools run under c:\windows\system32 directory, etc.
3. pushd / popd; auto create temporary drive letter for network directories with push and pop functionality
4. a better thought out version of the Named Folders plugin, very useful
5. integrated Console Manager to switch between tabs/multiple windows, and save console buffers like Windows DOS console does
6. an ESC key that actually works at start of copying large number of files, or aborting slow network connections like network neighborhood when WINS server doesn't exist
7. better hex editor
8. when last instance of text is found for text viewer find, you must ctrl+home to beginning of file before pressing space key again to search from beginning; this is a feature? or bug
9. unicode file name support and character display support
10. key accelerator editor; e.g background copy plugin so hard to start using F11 key
11. selecting files should allow queues, and/or destination structure could be specified if wanted; e.g. select directories and files into a list, and when the user is ready, apply some common command to all of them, like file copy, file compare, etc.
12. proper mirroring of NTFS symbolic links and junctions when these are copied to the new destination
13. get rid of SHIFT+DEL key, you don't know how many times i deleted files this way thinking it was Microsoft's cut text accelerator key
14. apply Microsoft standard copy, paste, cut, ctrl+home, shift ctrl+end, etc. keys on command text the same way with panels enabled and when panels are hidden. right now they have different behaviors!
15. increase the command line length!

these are some suggestions. i'm sure i can think of more, but right now this is enough to get things started in the right direction.
pp

Post by pp »

ad 13&14: You could use Key Macros...
fuurin

vote for pushd

Post by fuurin »

I'd like to see the 3.pushd/popd too.
unodgs

Re: everyday things that FAR should do in the future

Post by unodgs »

Pooman wrote: 6. an ESC key that actually works at start of copying large number of files, or aborting slow network connections like network neighborhood when WINS server doesn't exist
That's it, especialy part about canceling slow network connections... (this really drives me crazy from time to time...)
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Pooman
2. It's rather an issue of the OS.
Here's the tweak (at least for W2k and newer):

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor]
"DisableUNCCheck"=dword:00000001
7. In fact, Far has no built-in hex editor (only viewer).
You may use the HexEditor plugin or external utilities like Hiew.

10. You may use the MacroView plugin

11. You may place the items of interest to the Temporary panel

13,14. You may use Far keyboard macros to disable or re-assign the keys.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Pooman
9. Unicode alpha version of FAR is already exists. You can find it on russian forum. ;)
TCA

Post by TCA »

DrKnS wrote:Pooman
9. Unicode alpha version of FAR is already exists. You can find it on russian forum. ;)
Can you provide us -who don't understand russian- a direct link, please?
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Wiseman

Post by Wiseman »

Wow! Unicode support coming in 1.8? I'll try the alpha tomorrow.

I think the most important thing by far to add to FAR right now is Unicode support.
techie

Post by techie »

Wiseman wrote:Wow! Unicode support coming in 1.8? I'll try the alpha tomorrow.

I think the most important thing by far to add to FAR right now is Unicode support.
Yep. It is like an invisible banner above our heads for some years by now. =)