The missing X key

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
JimWilson

The missing X key

Post by JimWilson »

Okay, here's a weird one: my X key seems to have stopped functioning. I'm using 1.70 on a machine running XP SP2, but this has been happening for a long time (and on machines running Win2K as well).

When I try to type a capitol X in anything -- the dialogs for copy, move, make dir, etc -- I can't. Shift X doesn't work, nor does hitting the caps lock key make any difference. Nothing happens. It's even this way in the editor! But it's only capitol X, small x works just fine. Using far /p doesn't make any difference either.

I assumed that maybe I had inadvertently created a keyboard macro, but there's nothing in the KeyMacros registry key so that's not it.

At this point I'm at a loss about why this is happening. Any ideas?
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

JimWilson
Um, what FAR version (build)?
rob

Post by rob »

on my far-installation the X was used as shortcut for the XLat function. i think you have the same problem.
there two ways how to change this setting:
1.) use "system parameters editor"-plugin. on the hotkeys-handling-panel enter a new hotkey i.e. RWin.
2.) registry-editor: at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Far\XLat the hotkeys stored. change the values like this: (for keyvalues use the macrosyntax)

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Far\XLat]
"CmdLineKey"="RWin"
"AltCmdLineKey"="RWin"
"DialogKey"="RWin"
"AltDialogKey"="RWin"
"EditorKey"="RWin"
"AltEditorKey"="RWin"
"WordDivForXLat"="  !#$%^&*()+|\"=\\[]/@?"
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

t-rex wrote:Um, what FAR version (build)?
Um, it's right there in my original post: I'm using 1.70 on a machine running XP SP2. :wink:
JimWilson

Post by JimWilson »

rob wrote:on my far-installation the X was used as shortcut for the XLat function. i think you have the same problem.
there two ways how to change this setting:
1.) use "system parameters editor"-plugin. on the hotkeys-handling-panel enter a new hotkey i.e. RWin.
2.) registry-editor: at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Far\XLat the hotkeys stored. change the values like this: (for keyvalues use the macrosyntax)

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Far\XLat]
"CmdLineKey"="RWin"
"AltCmdLineKey"="RWin"
"DialogKey"="RWin"
"AltDialogKey"="RWin"
"EditorKey"="RWin"
"AltEditorKey"="RWin"
"WordDivForXLat"="  !#$%^&*()+|"=\\[]/@?"
That was it! :Yahoo!:

All of those keys were set to "X". Once I cleared out those values everything started working the way it should. Thanks. :good: