FAR 1.70 editor & Windows Vista: copy&paste results

Here you can report bugs found in Far Manager.
AlexFru

FAR 1.70 editor & Windows Vista: copy&paste results

Post by AlexFru »

I love FAR, but it seems like either something has been broken in Windows Vista or FAR has relied upon something that used to be true all the way up to and including Windows XP and 2003 Server but that's no longer true.

What happens is this... You create an empty text file with FAR 1.70.
Then in the file you type in (w/o copying and pasting) 4 lines of text, each being longer than 5 characters.
Then you move the cursor back to the beginning of line 2, select the line using Shift+DownArrow and copy the line to the clipboard by using Ctrl+Ins. If after that you start pasting the copied text by means of Shift+Ins, the pasted lines will have junk in the 1st and 2nd characters.

This is a rather unfortunate situation, since FAR is very popular in ex-USSR countries and I believe not only there and many people use it at work and even legally buy it... I've been doing all my source code editing with FAR for several years and I found no better substitute to FAR.

I'd like this problem to be investigated and fixed. Even if it appears to be a Windows Vista bug. It doesn't seem likely that Microsoft folks will have this fixed in Vista anytime soon. I think the problem is on the OS side because FAR used to work on a variety of Windows versions. I might be wrong though.

So, please start doing FAR testing under Vista and release a FAR update as soon as possible. I may help you out with FAR testing under Vista. Feel free to ask for it. I love FAR and can't imagine moving to Vista without it!

Thanks,
Alex
t-rex
Admin

Post by t-rex »

AlexFru
This was already fixed some time ago.
AlexFru

Post by AlexFru »

t-rex wrote:This was already fixed some time ago.
Yep, I found the link to the bugfix at the Russian forum. Thanks a lot for fixing that. Though, it might be useful to place this information at the English forum too or better yet on the page from where the FAR and updates/bugfixes are available. Right now I don't see any link to such a document at the download page. The news pages don't have this either (see http://enforum.farmanager.com/viewtopic.php?t=246). One needs to know exactly what to look for and where (in my case the Russian forum) in order to find it.
Spire

Post by Spire »

AlexFru or t-rex, could you please post a link to the updated version? I've tried to find it on the Russian forum, but since I don't understand Russian, I don't know what to search for.
AlexFru

Post by AlexFru »

You could at least try searching for Vista :) Anyway, here it is:
http://farmanager.com/farbugs/Far2131.rar
Spire

Post by Spire »

Ah, yes. I didn't originally realize that it was a Windows-Vista-specific problem, so it didn't occur to me to search for that. Thanks.

BTW, I see they're up to 2133.
CAlexN

:(

Post by CAlexN »

I was looking for a solution to this exact problem. I'm editing my website in FAR (on Vista now since I got my new laptop) and the scrambling of the characters on Copy&Paste makes me mad. It even happens just by inserting a break in the middle of a line - the beginning of that line gets jumbled. :(

Unfortunately the links on this thread seem broken and the latest release on the FAR Updates page is "Far Manager 1.71 alpha 3 build 2126" which doesn't seem to contain this fix.

Is there a way to obtain a newer build that has this Vista fix?

I'm desperate :(
HaRT

Re: :(

Post by HaRT »

CAlexN wrote:Is there a way to obtain a newer build that has this Vista fix?
Please try this one: Unannounced updates.
I don't know if the issue is fixed there but it's a stable mainstream build.